Frequently Asked Questions

 What is the BioHealth Sciences Major?

The BioHealth Sciences (BHS) major (formerly known as General Science prior to Fall 2014) is intended to provide a basic science education in fields relevant to a career related to human health.  The major prepares students to become successful health care professionals in a variety of different fields, including clinical laboratory science, dentistry, occupational therapy, optometry, pharmacy, physician assistant and physical therapy. 

What is an Option and How Do I Get One?

An Option is a set of designated courses designed to satisfy a particular objective within the major (e.g., be prepared for applying to pharmacy school).  An Option consists of at least 21 credits of designated courses, at least 15 credits of which are upper-division courses (numbered 300 and above). Currently, every student in the BioHealth Sciences major is required to declare an Option.

What if I Am Undecided About an Option or Major?

Coursework for most options is fairly similar in the first two years.  Many students choose an option after discussions with BHS advisors during orientation courses.  Undecided students may also choose to change their college of enrollment to the University Exploratory Studies Program (“UESP”). Advisors in UESP are trained to help students choose a major that’s right for them.

Are Minors Required in Order to Graduate from BioHealth Sciences?

No. Students in BHS are not required to have a minor; however, many students choose to complete a minor to complement their major or to meet credit hour requirements.  Popular minors include psychology, chemistry, athletic training, and entrepreneurship.

What is a Bacc Course Class and Why do I need it?

The Baccalaureate Core Curriculum (Bacc Core) is the foundation for students' further understanding of the modern world. The Baccalaureate Core requires students to think critically and creatively, and to synthesize ideas and information when evaluating major societal issues. It promotes understanding of interrelationships among disciplines in order to increase students' capacities as ethical citizens in an ever-changing world. Students must complete a minimum of 48 credits plus a Writing Intensive course (WIC) of at least 3 credits.

The following is a list of the major categories of Bacc Core requirements:

Skills Courses (15 credits)

The Skills Courses provide a foundation in writing, speech, basic mathematics, and lifelong health & fitness.

Note: Writing I, Speech and Mathematics must be completed satisfactorily within the first 45 credit hours, and Writing II within the first 90 credit hours, of OSU coursework. For transfer students, Writing II and Speech must be completed in first 45 OSU credit hours.

Perspectives Courses (27 credits)

Perspectives Courses emphasize the arts, sciences, cultural diversity, literature, and global awareness.

Note: No more than 2 courses from any one subject area may be used for the non-laboratory humanities & social sciences courses.

Synthesis Courses (6 credits)

Synthesis Courses are upper division classes which are divided into two areas: Contemporary Global Issues and Science, Technology, and Society.

Note: The two courses used to fulfill the Synthesis requirement may not be from the same subject area.

Writing Intensive Course (WIC) (3 credits)

Every discipline has its own particular standards for writing. WIC courses are designed to give students practice writing within their major. Currently, HSTS 415/417/419/422/425 meet the WIC requirement for BHS students.

What are my Academic Requirements?

To earn a Bachelor of Science degree (BS) you must complete the following requirements:

  • The Bacc Core to include a WIC course.
  • A minimum of 180 credit hours.
  • A minimum of 60 upper division (300 level or above) credit hours.
  • A minimum of 45 of the last 75 credit hours must be completed as OSU courses.
  • A minimum of 2.00 cumulative OSU GPA.
  • A minimum of 36 credit hours must be taken in the major, including at least 24 in upper division.
  • All major/option requirements must be completed for a grade (A-F).  S/U is not allowed.

How many OSU credits will I be Granted as a Result of my AP/IB scores?

The Admission's website contains information on which OSU courses and how many credits you will be granted based on your various test scores.  First year students will receive individual attention during summer student orientation – START.

How do I get my PIN (Personal Identification Number) to Register?

Current students in BHS receive their new PIN each Spring term for the following academic year.  The OSU registration system employs priority registration where students are assigned a specific day and time for registering.  You are able to view your assigned registration slot via MyOSU portal/View Priority Registration Status.

You should meet in person with a BHS advisor to discuss the next academic year.  You should prepare for that meeting by entering courses into your planner in MyDegrees and by bringing a list of questions.  PINs are available mid-April and are not sent to students over email or phone without prior conversation (meeting).

Students who have registered disabilities and student athletes are required to meet with their advisor every term to receive a newly generated PIN. Students who have changed their major prior to registration may need to meet with an advisor for a PIN.  New first-year and transfer students will receive their PINs during summer orientation. Students admitted winter and spring terms will schedule an individual meeting with BHS advisors through the BHS Office: 541-737-3875.

How do I Add a Course after Classes have Begun?

You must complete the Late Change of Registration Form to have the course added to your record.  To request to add a course after the deadline has passed (Friday of week two), mark the box associated with the course add, provide the requested course information, and provide complete legible answers to the questions at the bottom of the first page. On the back page the instructor and department need to complete the Instructor Section for Late Add.  Students must obtain the signature of the College of Science head advisor.  Return the completed petition to the Office of the Registrar for review.

If you are unable to meet with the above mentioned individuals in person to obtain a signature the Registrar’s office will accept an email response from them, as long as it is from their Oregon State University email address.

Once the completed petition is received by the Registrar’s office, it will be presented to the Academic Requirements Committee for a decision. This committee meets on Wednesday mornings.  To learn of the committee’s decision regarding your case you should call or stop by the Registrar’s office Wednesdays afternoon or any time thereafter.

What is BioHealth Science S/U Policy?

Students in the BHS major may not S/U any required course unless they are planning on retaking those courses.  Students may however, S/U Bacc Core and elective courses if they are not required for the major or professional schools in their field.  Up to 36 credit hours may be taken S/U, except those courses required for major and/or minor options.

Discuss a change to S/U with the course instructor as well as your advisor.  This conversation should revolve around the actual grade you might receive in the course and what you need to do to receive the grade you hope for.  After the conversation with the instructor, you might decide it is better to withdraw (W) from the course.   Whichever option you select, you must fill out a change of grading form that will require the instructor's signature.  If you are receiving Financial Aid you should discuss the ramifications of withdrawing from a course vs. using the S/U grade system with their office.

The deadline to submit these forms to the Registrar’s Office is 4:55pm on Friday of week seven of each term.  During summer term, see Tuition & Deadlines on the Summer Session website.  BHS advisors will have drop-in hours prior to the deadline. 

I'm on Academic Warning/Academic Probation/Academic Suspension. What does that mean?

At the end of each term the Registrar’s office calculates the term and cumulative GPA of each student based on grades received from instructors.  When your term or cumulative GPA drops below a 2.0, you are not in satisfactory academic standing and will receive an email from the Registrar’s office indicating that you are on warning, probation, or suspension.  In addition, your current standing is indicated in MyDegrees.   Please note that you can be placed on Probation without ever having been on Warning.

If you receive such an email from the Registrar’s office, you should immediately schedule an appointment with your advisor and discuss plans to help with your academic difficulties.

I'm on Academic Warning. What do I do now?

Students on academic warning have attempted less than 24 credit hours at OSU and have a term or cumulative GPA that has fallen below 2.0. Academic warning is recorded on a student’s academic record.

The reasons students experience academic difficulties are many. Sometimes it is due to family or health reasons, ineffective study habits, or time and management skills.  Students may have forgotten to reduce their credit load when their work hours have increased.  Still, others might be new to OSU and are still getting used to the system. 

BHS advisors recommend you address the issue right away, and we hope to be a great resource for you.  Very often, analyzing and ‘fixing’ the issue immediately ensures success in subsequent terms.  BHS advisors make an extra effort to reach out to our students on academic warning. We can work together to create a plan to try to help you get on the right track.

During the meeting an advisor might refer students to several resources at OSU including the Academic Success Center for strategies and tools that may be of help

If you are a first year student, an academic hold will be put on your account until you complete a survey and meet with a College of Science Academic Success Specialist, who will remove the hold after the meeting.  Please be aware that you will not be able to make any changes to your transcript (S/U, W, Drop/Add, etc.) until the hold has been removed.

I’m on Academic Probation.  What do I do now?

Students on academic probation have attempted more than 24 credit hours and have a cumulative GPA that has fallen below 2.0.  Academic probation is recorded on the student’s academic record.  If you are on academic probation you are in a tenuous situation with suspension from OSU a possibility.  You must bring your term GPA above 2.0 each term to stay on probation and not be suspended; and ultimately you must bring your cumulative GPA above the required 2.0 minimum to return to good standing. 

Although not required, you should schedule an appointment with your advisor. We would like to assist you with assessing your situation, what caused it, and suggest resources and actions you may take to return to good standing.   

I’ve been Suspended, What do I do now?

Students who are on academic probation and whose GPA in a subsequent term falls below 2.0 will be placed on academic suspension.  Academic suspension is recorded on your academic record.  Students who are academically suspended are denied all the privileges of the institution and of all organizations in any way connected to it, including any university recognized living group.  If you want to return to OSU, you have one of a few options:

How do I Petition for Reinstatement?

Students with significant extenuating circumstances may petition the Faculty Senate Academic Standing Committee. The extenuating circumstances must have been demonstrably corrected and students must provide documentation of the problem and the solution. Moreover, there must be evidence in the student's record of ability to succeed academically. Reinstatement is not automatic. Students must have the support of their department and college head advisor to petition.  Students who have been reinstated by the committee will be on academic probation until their OSU cumulative GPA is above 2.0.  OSU has many resources which can help provide a smooth transition back into the University. One such resource is the University Exploratory Studies Program located in 102 Waldo Hall. These advisors are experts at assisting students as they return to OSU after suspension.

  • If you believe your situation meets the definition of “extenuating circumstances” you may proceed with the petition process.
  • Students who do not meet the guidelines will NOT be considered by the committee.
  • Students should follow the Registrar’s directions stated in the package they received, especially in regards to the forms that needs to be filled out.
  • Students need to meet with their advisor to request support for the reinstatement process.
  • Students need to remember to bring all forms and any supporting documentation to the meeting for the advisor to approve and sign.
  • Students need to meet with College of Science Head Advisor, located in 128 Kidder Hall, for additional approval. 
  • Students must turn in the completed petition (and any supporting documentation) to the Registrar’s Office by the stated deadline.
  • Students will be required to attend the Academic Standing Committee meeting as assigned by the Registrar’s office.

I’m a Re-Admit, What do I Need to do to Register for Classes?

After you receive your re-admit letter from the Registrar, you should make an appointment with a BHS advisor.  During the meeting you will discuss your end-goal and actions that will make you a strong applicant.  You will discuss courses for the upcoming term and might even plan the remaining of your time at OSU.  You will also receive a PIN for registration and have a chance to ask all of your questions.

What is the Degree Partnership Program (DPP)?

The Degree Partnership Program (DPP) promotes educational attainment and bachelor's degree completion by allowing students to be jointly admitted and concurrently enrolled at Oregon State University and Oregon community colleges.  First year and transfer students have the opportunity to learn more about the program during their START session in the summer.

What University Resources are Available for Students?

OSU offers a variety of resources to students depending on their needs and circumstances.  Below are a few of the most common resources students ask about.  Additional resources can be discussed with your knowledgeable advisor who will listen to your needs and recommend an action plan.

How do I get my enrollment certified or verified?

Several options are available for you to certify your enrollment at OSU. Some are free of charge through your online student account. These include printing your class schedule, unofficial transcript, or National Student Clearinghouse verification. Printed copies of your official transcripts may also be requested online.  If you need a verification of enrollment that includes information not provided by the above options, submit a completed Verification of Enrollment request form to request specialized documentation from the Registrar’s office.  Such documents are subject to a certification fee and require three business days for processing.

I’m ready to graduate, What do I do now?

Students do not automatically get evaluated for graduation. They must apply for graduation. They can apply via the online application for graduation through their MyOSU account. It is recommended that students apply for graduation three terms prior to the term in which they intend to complete their degree requirements. Applications must be submitted no later than the end of the second week of the term in which the student plans to complete degree requirements.  It is recommended that you confirm that all majors, minors, options, Honors College, etc. are correctly stated.

You should schedule a follow up meeting with your advisor for the first week of the term that you will graduate, at the latest.  In that meeting any issues with the transcript and any questions regarding remaining degree requirements in MyDegrees should be discussed. MyDegrees will only show a degree as 98% complete until your final term is complete. Look to see that all boxes are checked and no deficiencies are noted.

Students who complete their academic requirements at the end of Spring, Summer or Fall terms may participate in current Spring Commencement.  Students completing requirements in Winter term will participate in the following Spring commencement.