MICROBIOLOGY STUDENT ASSOCIATION
SPARK CALL TO ARTISTS!! Microbiomes: Connecting Communities
Scholarship Opportunity. A new scholarship is available from the Department of Microbiology. The Sheila Van Zandt Student Research Experience Scholarship seeks to promote collaboration between a graduate student and undergraduate student and must be applied for by a graduate/undergraduate pair separate from other Department of Microbiology scholarships.
The Microbiology Student Association represents the interests of the undergraduate students studying in the Department of Microbiology.
- Each term our club has one fieldtrip with a larger trip to follow in the Spring.
- MSA meets approximately twice a term.
- Email Dr. Bruslind to get on the Email-list to receive club information and event updates.
- Membership fee is $5 to join for the entire academic year; dues can be paid to the MSA treasurer at an MSA meeting or to Dr. Bruslind in Nash 322.
- Check out the Microbiology Student Association (MSA) Facebook. Feel free to browse and discuss events!
- Check out and friend us on FACEBOOK!! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004867366716&fref=t;
Drafted 20th November, 1991
Article I: Name
- The name of this organization shall be the Microbiology Student Association.
Article II: Purpose
- The purposes of this association are; to provide information to Microbiology students; work as a liaison between students and faculty; and social interactions.
Article III: Membership
- Active Members shall be enrolled students at Oregon State University; have attended two consecutive meetings.
- Associate members shall be faculty or staff interested in Microbiology Students. They shall not be eligible to hold office or vote.
- Annual dues are $5 per year.
- All voting members and officers of the Microbiology Students Association must be 'regularly admitted' students at Oregon State University.
- Membership shall not be denied to any student on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran status.
Article IV: Officers
- The officers of the association shall be President, Vice-President, Secretary/Treasurer. These officers shall perform the duties prescribed by the constitution and by-laws and by the parliamentary authority adopted by the association.
- Officers shall be nominated at the meeting in April of each year. Election shall be by secret ballot and the candidates receiving the most votes shall be named to their respective offices.
- Officers shall be elected to serve for one year or until their successors are elected, and their terms of office shall begin at the close of the meeting at which they are elected.
- Vacancies in offices shall be filled by nomination and voting of a quorum of active members.
- Officers shall have earned at least 6 hours of credit in their most recently completed term. This requirement does not apply to first-term freshmen or first-term transfer students.
- Officers shall be registered for at least 6 hours currently.
- Officers shall not be on disciplinary probation.
- Officers shall have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 and not have been on probation for the most recently completed term prior to the term of election.
Article V: Meetings
- Meetings will be held by general consensus
- the regular meeting in April shall be for the purpose of electing officers, receiving reports of officers and committees, and for any other business that may arise.
- Special meetings may be called by the President or the Executive committee and shall be called upon the written request of ten members of the association. The purpose of the meeting shall be stated in the notice and three days' notice shall be given except in cases of emergency.
- A majority of the association shall constitute a quorum.
Article VI: Relationship
- The Microbiology Student Association shall have no relationship or be controlled by any other local, state, or national organization.
Article VII: Committee
- The Executive Committee shall include the officers of the association. They shall supervise affairs of the association between its business meetings, make recommendations to the association and perform other duties as specified in the constitution and by-laws. The Executive Committee shall be subject to the orders of the association and none of its acts shall conflict with actions taken by the association.
- Other committies, standing or special, shall be appointed by the President as the association or the Executive Committee deem necessary to carry on the work of the association.
Article VIII: Advisor
- One or more advisors shall be elected each year in the same manner as the association's officers. Responsibilities shall be those assigned by Oregon State University's Student Conduct Regulations.
Article IX: Authority
- The rules contained in the current edition of Robert's Rules Order Newly Revised shall govern the association in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with the constitution, by-laws and special rules of order the association may adopt.
Article X: Amendments
- This constitution may be amended at any regular meeting of the association by two-thirds vote, provided that the amendment has been submitted in writing at the previous regular meeting. All amendments must be approved by the Student Activities Committee.