We aim to provide a learning environment that excites and informs undergraduate majors and non-majors about microbiology and the many ways that it is relevant to everyday life. Through our two undergraduate majors, Microbiology and BioHealth Sciences, the Department is committed to providing a transformative education through the following elements:
- Provide compelling and relevant undergraduate courses that teach science literacy for all OSU students and provide the fundamental knowledge for our majors to succeed in their careers.
- Provide training through innovative, non-conventional coursework that stresses inquiry-based learning.
- Encourage and provide opportunities for students to participate in research.
- Prepare our majors for future careers or further educational opportunities by providing a capstone experience.
- Equalize opportunities for under-represented minorities and for students with diverse life experiences.
- Improve the timely progression to graduation for majors of all backgrounds.
- Offer teaching facilities that provide a learning experience appropriate for a top tier research university.